Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The ordination of Aaron and his sons: Exodus 29-30

I must admit I was a bit taken aback by the elaborate and expensive nature of the Lord's demands of Moses and his people in the ordination ceremony. A bull and two rams were to be sacrificed - and detailed instructions about just how the animals should be butchered is given. In addition to the ordination offerings, Moses was instructed to sacrifice two year-old lambs every day, along with bread and wine. Every day! I can only imagine the burden that put on shepherds and the community at large. I still have trouble accepting the literal nature of the Lord's demands, so I went to my buddy Matthew Henry for insight.
"A lamb was to be offered upon the altar every morning, and a lamb every evening. This typified the continual intercession which Christ ever lives to make for his church. Though he offered himself but once for all, that one offering thus becomes a continual offering. This also teaches us to offer to God the spiritual sacrifices of prayer and praise every day, morning and evening. Our daily devotions are the most needful of our daily works, and the most pleasant of our daily comforts. Prayer-time must be kept up as duly as meal-time. Those starve their own souls, who keep not up constant attendance on the throne of grace; constancy in religion brings in the comfort of it."
OK, I get the value of ritual and daily devotions, but I still am struggling with the pagan nature of this entire process. I understand this happened a LONG time ago - long before Jesus' time - and I guess Moses and his folk were trying to reconcile their former pagan practices with the Lord's new edicts. But still...

If we have ever had a passage that needs comment and insight, this is one. Please offer your thoughts in the comments.

No comments: