Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ian White sings Psalms 49

From Scotland, Ian White is a pioneer in contemporary praise and worship music. Ian felt a calling into church leadership and attended Aberdeen University to pursue a divinity degree. Yet, instead of putting his music on the back-burner, Ian's time at university was to radically reaffirm his calling into praise and worship music. Ian recalls a particular weekend in 1983 which redirected his thinking with regards to his future:
"I felt God speak to me very powerfully. I felt I'd experienced God in a new way, the power of his Holy Spirit, and just felt a real refreshing in my Christian life." As Ian shared this experience with friends Ray and Nancy Goudie, God's purpose for his life became clearer. "They laid hands on me and prayed for me and they said: 'Ian, we believe that God is going to have you write praise music, we believe that this has been a new release and we are going to pray that something starts new as a result of this experience."
Here is Ian's interpretation of Psalms 49 - today's New Testament reading. Lyrics below:



Ian White sings Psalms 49

No man can redeem the life of another,
or give to God a ransom for him.
The ransom for our life is costly.
No payment is ever enough,
that he should live and never see decay.

For all can see that wise men perish.
And fools will die leaving riches behind.
Their tombs will forever be their houses.
Though they had named lands for themselves,
man despite his wealth will not endure.

This is the fate of all who trust themselves.
And of their followers who approve what they say.
But God the Lord He will redeem my soul.
He will uplift me from the grave,
And He will surely take me to Himself.

No man can redeem the life of another,
or give to God a ransom for him.
But God the Lord He will redeem my soul.
He will uplift me from the grave,
and He will surely take me to Himself.

1 comment:

David from Portswood said...

A great adaptation of the psalm - thanks for putting up the lyrics.